With hypotonia comes all sorts of tricky side effects. Constipation is one of them. Awkwardly, constipation is often a seizure trigger.
The goal of constipation treatment is to have a very soft bowel movement once a day. The consistency of the BM should be like soft-serve ice cream or applesauce (“Type 5” or “Type 6” in the chart.)
There are a few anecdotal options:
- Lactoluse (a stool softner)
- Movicol/Mialax LaxativeMiralax is a very good stool softener for children ages 6 months and up. It works by bringing more water into the colon, softening the stool and making it easier to passNeed to be sure using the right amount for long enough. Will work differently for each child, depending on
- Their age and size
- How constipated they are
- How often they are taking Miralax (every day for prevention, or just occasionally “as needed”)
- Their diet
- How much water and other fluids they take in
- Coconut Water
- Prune Juice
- Belly Massage + Leg Cycling
- Flax Seed Oil
Ideally, poop should be around the type 5 – type 6.